Friday, February 25, 2011

Cobb Island

My mom told me that she was going to stay with me for a few weeks on the day of the funeral.  What a gift!  I was really rather shocked but so happy that she would be there with me to face the beginning of this new life.

Steve called and told me that his friend had offered their house to me and the boys. It was on Cobb Island in Maryland.  I never heard of it, but it sounded fine to me.  We planned to leave in a few days and of course, my mom would join us.

My mom and I went out shopping again.  I needed new clothes; everything I owned was falling off of me.  We were in the department store and walking toward the ladies section when I said, “Mom, I need a grieving hat.”  My mom replied, “Every widow has to have a grieving hat.”  I found a straw hat that I loved and told Mom she needed one too.  Remember, I said, “If you can’t have a sense of humor then all is lost.”  We had fun laughing and carrying on. it had been such a long time since I laughed or had fun.  I was looking forward to this adventure on Cobb Island.

Neither of our cars was new, but they were in okay shape.  I knew I needed to replace them with one reliable vehicle as soon as possible; it would have to wait until we got back.  I drove the Camry to Cobb Island.  It was spring and it was gorgeous in the DC area.  Mom kept “oo-ing” and “ah-ing” over the forsythia, cherry trees and the flowers everywhere. It wouldn’t be spring in New York for a few more weeks.

Each spring since Jack was a baby, we played “Forsythia.” A game I made up when he was two.  Whoever sees a forsythia bush and yells forsythia, wins.  When we hit the road we started playing.  Michael couldn’t quite say forsythia.  It came out a little more like forcynthia which made us all laugh. It was a battle between the two boys in the back.  Jack called the bushes on the passenger side and Mike claimed the ones on the driver’s side.  They tired of it by the time we were getting on the Toll Road. 

Jack had his Game Boy in the back seat with him and Michael wanted to play.  They began bickering and I didn’t have the patience for it.  I pulled over to the next Wal-Mart and purchased a Game Boy with games and batteries for Michael.  I wasn't going allow my two sons to drive me crazy.  Jack thought I was insane to buy Mike the Game Boy.  I desired peace throughout the land; I didn't care how much money it took.

We arrived at the island and made our way over the one bridge that gave access to the island.  We passed the post office, the restaurant, and the store on the way to the house.  It was exciting to see all the different homes and know that our borrowed home was around the corner.  We drove into a gravel driveway and parked under the trees.  The key was hidden on the outside of the shed in the yard. 

We unlocked the door and stepped into the washroom and walked through to the kitchen. It was beautiful and welcoming.  The front room looked out over to where the Potomac River meets the Wicomico River on the Western Shore.  The view was fantastic.  The boys were running around looking at the bedrooms and making plans for the one they wanted.

My mom preferred the bedroom downstairs; she could do without the steps.  I was upstairs and it was heavenly.  The room was painted a pale yellow and was filled with soft blues.  The bed was king sized; it had gorgeous linens.  When I got up on the massive bed, I sank my head into a mountain of pillows while looking out the large picture windows that looked out over the water.  It was awesome!  I felt soothed by it all.

On our first night at the house, we decided to drive over to the bridge restaurant that we saw on our way onto the island.  Jack was thrilled to have seafood, something I don’t cook and we enjoyed the view of boats on the water and seagulls sailing through the air.

After dinner, we drove around the island just to get a feel for it.  It wasn’t very large and perfect for taking a long walk.  There was a whimsical feel to the island; people decorated with all types of themes, a hodgepodge of sorts.  We crept along the road and looked out at the cottages and houses; the island was quaint. There is one road that goes along the outer shape of the island.  We crept along the road and looked at all the cottages and houses.  We saw houses with beach themes, Italian statues, nautical themes, gingerbread, and everything type of home from gorgeous new homes to simple shacks.

When we arrived home, I got the boys settled watching one more cartoon and then sent them off to bed. They said their prayers with me. "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.  Guide me Jesus through the night and wake me in the morning light.  God bless, Mommy and Daddy and all the buddies that we love.  Amen."  Then I put my thumb on Michael’s forehead, made the sign of the cross and said, "God bless you and keep you." and kissed him.  Next was Jack, I blessed him and said, "God bless you and keep you" and kissed him.  “Love you, boys,” I said as I closed the door.

 Mom and I had a cup of tea and read a bit.  We were both exhausted and decided to head into bed. “I’m glad you came, Mama,” I told her.  “Me too," she said.   Love you, goodnight.” she whispered.

I started my lonely trek upstairs to my room, the yellow room.  I had never seen anything quite like it. I loved the huge windows that looked out over the water.  It was fabulous.  I could see the lights of boats moving out on the water, as well as lights from the different shores that opposed the island.  When I turned off the lights and settled in the bed I was able to see the stars too through the skylights in the ceiling. The stars were so bright out in the country. I was thinking how much Rick would have loved it but that wasn’t meant to be.  My sleeping pill was beginning to kick in.  I closed my eyes to the day.


  1. Very powerful and moving. I have been rading for about 20 minutes and feel like I have shared a huge piece of your most intimate moments. You are a beautiful writer.

  2. I'm so sorry for your loss...your story moved me to tears.