Saturday, February 12, 2011

Freaked Out

About a year and half after our first son, Jack, was born, Rick went to a Redskins football game.  His friend, John went with him; they took the Metro into the stadium at RFK.  I didn’t mind; Jack went to sleep early and I had started a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle.  I had the game on and it was over around 9:30 p.m.  I was making great progress on the puzzle.

At around 11:00 o’clock, I decided to go into bed, thinking Rick would be home soon.  I went to sleep and was startled when I woke up and happened to look at the clock.  It was 1:00 in the morning.  Oh my god!  He’s dead.  I’ll be a widow!  He's dead.  Don't be dead, Rick.  I headed toward the closet and got my clothes on; I wanted to be dressed for the police when they came to the door.

My heart was beating like crazy.  I walked out to the dining room and started pacing.  I sat down and put a few pieces in the puzzle and then, I couldn’t take it anymore.  I decided to call Steve; he went to the game.  He had season tickets; if he wasn’t home then maybe Rick was okay.

I dialed the rectory at 1:30.  A groggy Steve answered the phone.  “Steve, it’s Jane.  What time did you get home from the game?” I asked.  “It was a little after ten.  Why?  What’s going on?” he asked.  “Um, Rick went to the game with John and he’s not home; I’m a little freaked out.” I replied, trying not to cry.  He said, “I had a parking pass and didn't take Metro; it’s much faster.  I’m sure he’ll be home soon.”  I thanked him and hung up.  I went back to the puzzle.

I have an 18 month old baby and now, I’ll be a widow.  Please don’t be dead. Please don’t be dead!  Do the puzzle, Jane.  He’ll be home soon.  I worked on the puzzle and cried and wiped my tears.

At 2:30 I heard the keys in the door; I just sat there.  “You’re up,” he said.  I looked at him; my nose was red and the tears were streaming down my face.  “What’s wrong?” he said as he came near the table. 

“You have no idea what you put me through,” I said very calmly.  “I can’t even speak to you.”  I got up and walked into the bedroom.  He followed me.

“Janie, I’m sorry,” he said.  “John and I went out to breakfast and time got away from us while we were talking.”  “You couldn’t call?” I managed to say.  “I didn’t want to wake you and the baby,” he explained.

“Rick, I thought you were dead!  I got up and got dressed to wait for the police to come tell me,” I sobbed. “Oh gosh, Janie, I’m so sorry,” he hugged me to him and I cried and cried.

“Rick, you know my father died in a car accident; I couldn’t take it if you died. These things happen to people. Next time, wake me up.”

6 comments:

  1. Aw... I would have probably reacted like you. I think he shoud have called you. Well, guys are so laid back...

    Hm...I guess it may be good thing sometimes, as they can help us to keep cool..LOL

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your blog! Such compelling writing and wonderful stories - although I didn't obey your instruction and read from the beginning ...

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doris,
    You're right guys are laid back. I liked your blog, very interesting. Please stop by again.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red Nomad Oz,
    I'm so glad you enjoyed the stories and you wouldn't be the first to start at the "beginning"; it's actually the middle. Kudos to you for even reading the instruction.
    Thanks for stopping,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bad boy! I guess this was the time "before text messaging".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan,
    This was before cordless phones, pagers and cell phones. This was the day of Pay Phones. This was the last time he didn't call. :)

    ReplyDelete